Concurrent Technologies is an internationally known manufacturer of single board computer products for a range of industry standard architectures. Our products are designed and developed totally in-house by teams in the UK, India and USA, and use leading-edge electronic components. We sell into many different markets around the world, but in particular we have a range of high-performance processor and other boards used in aerospace, defence and telecommunications applications.
Cooling and strengthening our boards are critical parts of the design, so we create a number of different metal components to act as heat sinks and stiffening frames, as well as other items, particularly test fixtures and jigs, to support our product development and production teams.
We now need a Senior Mechanical Engineer to design and develop this range of mechanical parts.
Office-based in Colchester, Essex, or in Theale, Berkshire, you will work closely with our electronics, board layout and other mechanical and thermal engineers at all the different stages of board development, for both rugged and more benign environments. You will also be involved in enhancing our internal design and development procedures and in mentoring more junior mechanical and thermal engineers. Most designs are completed by an individual engineer, and as a result, you will be responsible for testing your designs and ensuring that they are successfully put into production.
Note that while the role can be based in Theale, various tasks need to be performed in our Colchester factory, so trips to Colchester will be required on a fairly regular basis.
- You must be educated to Bachelor degree level with industry experience of designing small or precision components for electronic product packaging or similar environments.
- You must have designed to close tolerances and understand their effects in real-world production.
- You will be a good problem-solver, with the ability to reason and operate independently, but also be comfortable working with multi-disciplinary teams to reach good engineering solutions.
- You must be able to explain your ideas and solutions to other engineering staff and technical management, and be able to guide the more junior engineers.
- You need a good appreciation of change control procedures, e.g. ECO/ECN systems, and design data management.
Desirable, but not Essential, Skills/Experience
- A good level of familiarity with SolidWorks.
- Strong practical, “hands-on” engineering skills.
- Some awareness of thermal management techniques, especially in electronic product design.
- Previous involvement in environmental testing, e.g. shock, vibration or thermal tests.
- A background in product development of ruggedised electronic products for commercial or military applications.
- Very competitive salary.
- Optional stakeholder pension scheme (with a generous company contribution).
- Life assurance.
- Private health insurance.
- Relocation allowance where appropriate.