We are looking for a Senior Mechanical or Thermal Engineer who is looking for progression to the next level. The role requires the management of a small team of engineers coupled with a hands-on approach to Mechanical and Thermal design from concept to production. The products primarily need compact and effective cooling solutions which in many cases also have to be able to withstand high levels of vibration and mechanical shock, so the role involves not just design but also hands-on verification testing. Support to the Design and Test function is also required from time to time by means of designing new jigs and fixtures for design verification and production test purposes.
The vacancy calls for some expertise in both mechanical design and thermal design in an electronic product development environment. Although strong mechanical design skills are essential candidates from either background would be welcomed. The role is based at our headquarters in Colchester, Essex, where in addition to designing we also manufacture our own products. The successful applicant will report to the Engineering Manager.
Essential Skills / Experience:
- Education to Bachelor degree level with industry experience of designing small or precision components for electronic product packaging or similar environments.
- Independent self-starter able to plan and carry out your own work and that of your team with little supervision and with the ability to deliver effective results in short timescales.
- An ability to solve potentially complex mechanical/thermal problems, with the ability to reason independently and reach achievable engineering solutions.
- A good understanding of thermal management techniques, especially relating to electronic product design.
- A practical, “hands-on” person in order to manage your team and project timescales.
- A high degree of understanding of mechanical tolerances and their effects in real-world production.
- Familiarity with a mechanical CAD tool, ideally but not necessarily SolidWorks.
Desirable, but not Essential, Skills / Experience:
- Experience with FloTHERM or some other thermal simulation package.
- An ability to explain your ideas and solutions to others, including senior and junior engineering staff and technical management.
- Previous involvement in environmental testing, e.g. shock, vibration or thermal tests.
- A background in product development for airborne or ground vehicle equipment.
We offer a very competitive salary, an optional stakeholder pension scheme (with a generous company contribution), life assurance, private health insurance, and relocation allowance where appropriate.