The Senior Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for the design of the mechanical and thermal aspects of our board level products. Working with the electronics hardware and PCB design teams, he or she will be involved with the board development from the initial design stages through to production release and beyond. Among the engineer’s other responsibilities are the following:
- Design verification of the products
- Designing and developing jigs and fixtures for both design verification and regular manufacturing and test
- Developing and enhancing our mechanical design processes and practices
- Maintaining awareness of new technologies
- Acting as technical team leader and mentor to more junior staff
- Reporting to the UK-based Engineering Director on project progress
Concurrent Technologies is an internationally known manufacturer of single board computer products based on a variety of industry standard form factors. The boards are sold to a wide range of customers around the world, in aerospace, defense, telecommunications and many different industrial markets. Our products are designed and developed totally in-house, and use leading-edge Intel microprocessors and a range of peripheral components. An increasing number are designed to have ruggedized variants which must operate in much harsher environments than our standard commercial products.
We have development sites in the UK, India and the USA, with additional sales and technical support offices in the USA and China. We want to expand our development capability further by adding a Senior Mechanical Engineer to our team in Woburn, MA.
Candidates should be Mechanical Engineering graduates (BS or MS), able to demonstrate practical post graduate involvement in embedded electronic product design, and must have many or all of the following attributes:
- Strong knowledge of solid modelling, drawing, tolerances (GD&T), and change control processes
- A strong background in the design of small or precision mechanical components
- An ability to work well with remote design and manufacturing teams
- A knowledge and understanding of environmental standards such as MIL-STD-810
- Familiarity with shock and vibration testing issues and solutions
- Ideally, an ability to perform structural, modal, and shock and vibration analyses
- Experience of team leading at a technical level
- A practical, “hands-on” approach to problem solving
- Familiarity with surface finishes and plating
- Familiarity with design for manufacturability
Experience with SolidWorks is strongly preferred, but is not essential.
In addition to technical skills, the candidate must be independent and self-motivated but also be able to interact with other engineers both locally and overseas. He or she will be the primary point of contact for mechanical issues in the USA so must be able to provide assured and accurate guidance to colleagues at all stages of product development and testing. The role will involve occasional travel to the UK, though this is unlikely to be frequent or for long periods. However, it is expected that an initial trip to the UK of about 3 weeks duration will be required for product familiarization.