Concurrent Technologies is an internationally known manufacturer of industrial computing products
for a range of industry standard architectures. Our products are designed and developed totally in-house
by teams in the UK, India and USA, and use leading-edge electronic components. We sell into
many different markets around the world, but in particular we have a range of high-performance
processor and other boards used in aerospace, defence and telecommunications applications.
We now need another Mechanical or Thermal Engineer to join our team. The vacancy calls for
some expertise in both mechanical design and thermal design in an electronic product environment,
although strong mechanical design skills are essential. Candidates from either background would be
welcomed, with the job tile appropriate to experience. The role is based in our headquarters in
Colchester, Essex, where in addition to designing we also manufacture our own products.
Our Mechanical and Thermal Engineers are involved from the very early stages of product design,
through prototyping and design verification, and finally taking the design into production. The boards
primarily need compact and effective cooling solutions which in many cases also have to be able to
withstand high levels of vibration and mechanical shock, so the role involves not just design but also
hands-on verification testing. It frequently also involves the creation and use of new jigs and fixtures
for design verification and production test purposes.
Essential Skills / Experience:
- You must be educated to Bachelor degree level with industry experience of designing small or
precision components for electronic product packaging or similar environments.
- You must be independent and a self-starter, able to plan and carry out your work with little
supervision and with the ability to deliver effective results in short timescales.
- You will be a good problem-solver, with the ability to reason independently and reach good
- You will need to show a good appreciation of thermal management techniques, especially
relating to electronic product design.
- You must be a very practical, “hands-on” person.
- You also need a good understanding of tolerances and their effects in real-world production.
Desirable, but not Essential, Skills / Experience:
- A good level of familiarity with SolidWorks or similar mechanical CAD tool.
- Experience with FloTHERM or some other thermal simulation package.
- An ability to explain your ideas and solutions to others, including senior and junior engineering
staff and technical management.
- Previous involvement in environmental testing, e.g. shock, vibration or thermal tests.
- A background in product development for airborne or ground vehicle equipment.
We offer a very competitive salary, an optional stakeholder pension scheme (with a generous
company contribution), life assurance, private health insurance, and relocation allowance where