The initial focus of this role is the preparation of our products in representative test systems, planning and executing a range of tests, some in-house and some at external test houses, and documenting and reporting on the tests performed. Currently, the environmental tests comprise primarily shock & vibration, temperature and EMC compliance, but may include humidity, altitude (high and low pressure) and other tests. Some of the testing will require travel to other locations off site and possibly overnight stays. Some flexibility in working hours is also required, with occasional early starts and late finishes, and perhaps some weekend working to fit around test equipment availability and test cycles. In addition to the testing activities, the successful candidate will immediately be responsible for another test engineer with the possibility of adding further engineers to the team in the future.
The role typically but not exclusively involves the following:
- Preparation of representative test systems including determining a suitable chassis, back-plane, test fixtures and other connectivity to allow the products under test to operate continuously during the test cycles.
- Use of functional test software, typically using the Linux operating system.
- Some problem diagnosis and problem solving resulting from the environmental tests would be expected.
- Responsibility for ensuring that the environmental tests are performed according to the specification required.
- Maintaining accurate and correct test records and test reports to a quality level acceptable for potential customer distribution.
We are also beginning to offer small development systems to our customers, designed and built around third party standard enclosures and our own board level products. This is expected to form an increasing part of the responsibilities of this role from the start.
Qualifications and Experience
You should be qualified to degree, HND or HNC standard, and be able to demonstrate past experience of some functional or environmental testing of computer-based equipment. You are expected to be familiar with some or all of the following:
- Building, configuring and testing computer systems from piece parts (e.g. motherboard, data storage, cooling, power supply).
- Installing and configuring Windows and Linux operating systems and drivers.
- An ability to create or at least modify software scripts and to review and understanding log file results. (This does not include the creation or modification of software programs.)
- Understanding and meeting the requirements of military and commercial test specifications for environmental testing.
- Diagnosing and finding practical resolutions to technical problems, including an understanding of basic mechanics.
- Experience of team or project leadership.
You will be part of a small team with a high level of responsibility for your own work and that of the other test engineer(s), so you will need to have the ability to work to demanding timescales, while maintaining a high level of enthusiasm and commitment to the projects. You will also need to be methodical, well disciplined, have attention to detail and show good inter-personal skills.
We offer a very competitive salary, an optional stakeholder pension scheme (with a generous company contribution), life assurance, private health insurance, and relocation allowance where appropriate.